About UNC/Rex Hospital www.rexhealth.com
Rex Hospital is a not-for-profit private health care organization that joined UNC Health Care in 2000. In addition to a 660-bed acute care facility in downtown Raleigh, UNC Rex also offers a range of health care services at locations across Wake county. These include 5 wellness centers, 6 suburban campuses, freestanding outpatient diagnostic urgent care and surgery centers, and 2 skilled nursing facilities focusing on rehab and long term nursing care
UNC REX has a long history of ‘firsts’ for the Triangle and/or the state of North Carolina.
- The first Magnet hospital in the Triangle
- The first robotic bariatric procedure performed
- The first to complete an endovascular aortic graft
- The first to implement sentinel node procedures for breast cancer
- The first to be named a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence
- The first ACoS comprehensive cancer center
- The first to offer tomotherapy for cancer care - with our partnership with UNC
- N.C. American College of Emergency Physicians NCCEP honored Ryan Lamb, MD with its
- 2018 NC Medical Director Award.
- Earned first Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Five-Star rating, placing UNC
- REX in the top 9% of U.S. Hospitals (2017)
- UNC REX Hospitals was honored as one of the 100 great hospitals in America by Becker’s
- Hospital Review in 2018. UNC REX is consistently nationally ranked by U.S. News & World
- UNC REX is the only hospital in NC to receive straight “A” grades since The Leapfrog Group
- began a national hospital safety scorecard in 2012, making UNC REX one of only 68 hospitals
- nationwide to have earned this distinction (2018)
- Business North Carolina ranked UNC REX Healthcare #1 Best Hospital in the state of N.C. (2019)
- For the second straight year, IBM Watson Health has ranked UNC/Rex as one of its Top 50 Cardiovascular hospitals based on quality of clinical care and efficiency
hub of the premier heart, vascular and stroke services in the Southeast
24 hour cardiac catheterization lab
- Rex’s eight-suite Cardiac Cath Lab provides a high-tech setting for catheterizations, angioplasties, atherectomies, stent placements and brachytherapy. Each suite is equipped with high definition monitors that display extremely detailed real-time images, resulting in fewer x-rays and less radiation exposure for the patient.
- The center also features two state-of-the-art electrophysiology (EP) lab which allows our physicians to perform diagnostic procedures that can detect an irregular heartbeat in the way the heart's electrical system functions.
- 8 stories, 114 patient rooms
- 20 cardiac intensive care beds, cardiac rehab center
- Additionally, Rex offers MediGuide, a new technology that provides a safer way for patients to have heart procedures. MediGuide incorporates GPS technology to provide a real-time location of a heart catheter and to show the path the catheter needs to follow to reach the problem area of the heart. Typically used to treat atrial fibrillation and other heart rhythm irregularities, MediGuide dramatically reduces the amount of radiation received by the patient. Rex is proud to be the third hospital in the nation to offer this technology.
UNC REX Healthcare is recognized by the Joint Commission as a certified Primary Stroke Center. This means that UNC REX has met criteria developed by the Joint Commission in conjunction with the American Stroke Association and provides exceptional care that meets the unique needs of a stroke patient and improves outcomes.
We have also been an Advanced Primary Stroke Center since 2011.
Our stroke team is trained to diagnose and treat these types of stroke quickly and effectively. Treatment options include:
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Clot-Dissolving Intravenous Medications
- 24/7 access to state of the art intra-arterial clot retrieval for acute stroke
- Hospitalists, Acute Care Surgeons, OB/GYN Hospitalist, Intensive Care Specialists are in-house 24/7. Pediatric Hospitalists are available 24/7.
- UNC REX Healthcare was named a Silver Best Regional Hospital by U.S. News & World Report for ten specialties in 2014 – Cancer, Diabetes & Endocrinology, Gastroenterology and GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Gynecology, Nephrology, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Pulmonary and Urology
- UNC/Rex was ranked in the highest performing class in 9 specialty procedures in US News and World Report Best Hospitals
433 bed community hospital
Providing healthcare services for the citizens of NC for over 120 years Comprehensive specialty care including:
- Cancer center
- Heart and vascular services
- Heart and vascular tower opened March 2017 [ READ MORE ]
- Women’s services / birth center
- Radiology with 24/7 radiologist coverage
- Surgery services -Includes Acute Care General Surgeons present in hospital 24/7
- Inpatient Pediatrics with 24/7 pediatric hospitalists available
- Surgical consultants available include Neurosurgery, Thoracic surgery, Vascular surgery, Cardiac surgery, Otolaryngology, Ophthalmology, Urology, Gynecology, Orthopedics, Plastic surgery -Medicine services include Internal Medicine with our Hospitalist team present 24/7, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Anesthesia and critical care, Hematology / oncology, Nephrology, Infectious disease